When is it time?
We know here at the Franklin Animal Clinic the single most difficult decision a pet owner has to make is whether or not it is time to euthanize a pet. It is so hard to think about, but sometimes the only compassionate decision is to ease suffering through euthanasia.
You may want to consider the following questions:
- Is your pet in constant pain?
- Can your pet control his/her urine or stool output?
- Can your pet move when he/she chooses to do so?
- Is your pet eating & drinking on his/her own?
- Is your pet still enjoying daily activities?
- Does your pet still recognize you?
- Do the bad days outnumber the good days?
You. The decision to euthanize is always yours to make. If you are unsure whether it is right for your pet, you may want to discuss your feelings with your veterinarian. They will talk to you about the progression of your pet’s disease or condition and offer you important information about your pet’s quality of life.
It is never easy for any of us to accept death, but euthanasia can end up being the most unselfish act of love we can offer a pet. Your Franklin Animal Clinic team will do whatever we can to help you at this very difficult time.